Sunday, May 31, 2009

Emily's prayer

This happened a couple months ago before I started this blog, but I remembered it in church today and knew that if I didn't write it down I'd forget it.  A couple months ago Emily could not find her favorite Sleeping Beauty doll.  We had looked everywhere and she was becoming quite upset.  A thought came to me that this would be a great teaching moment.  I told her that Heavenly Father cares about her so much and could help her find the doll if she prayed to him.  She looked at me quizzically at first, but knelt down at the couch with me and she prayed to find her doll.  She then got up and started looking again.  Did I hope we'd find it soon, yes!  Was I a little nervous she wouldn't, sadly yes.  Within about one minute she had found it (in a place that I swear we had looked already a couple times).  She was so happy and we knelt down again and thanked Heavenly Father.  I could see in her eyes that she believed in this valuable principle.  
The best part about this story is that I went back to doing whatever I was doing and about 5 minutes later, Emily came to me and said, "Mom, I lost my doll again.  We need to pray to find it."  Then she whispered, "We're just pretending it's lost."  I looked over and she had put a pillow on top of it to "hide" it.  But I acted worried with her and we prayed again and then she looked under the pillow and exclaimed, "I found it!"  It was neat that she wanted to apply the principle of prayer again even though it was "pretend" this time.  I hope that as these principles are taught and applied over and over to Emily and Ashley that they'll remember them throughout their life!

2 comments:

  1. That is so precious, Sarah! What great parents you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! (I'm glad you have a blog now - maybe you have for a while and I'm just oblivious!)

    ReplyDelete