Monday, March 7, 2011

The Power of Prayer

I don't write spiritual posts nearly often enough. I read the blog of one of my former student's moms and she posts all the time about gospel things and I love this. Hopefully I can do this more often, especially since I have this be like my journal.
I am so grateful for the gospel in my life and the peace that it brings. One affirming experience we've had lately is on our way back from California at Christmas. We had just finished our last day at Disneyland and thought we would drive to Barstow and stay over then head the rest of the way in the morning. Well, when Kenny got to Barstow, he was still feeling good and not tired so the decision was made to keep going.
There had been some rain but the roads were really good and dry. We kept pressing on and got to the mountain passes just outside of Vegas when we noticed white stuff on the side of the road and Kenny asked, "Does that look like snow to you?" I replied, "Yes, but it couldn't be." There had been no evidence of it before then. In the split second after this out of nowhere we saw about 15 cars that had slid off the road and were either upside down or on their side. The mountain pass was covered in black ice and it came upon us with no warning. We too slid, but luckily didn't go off the road.
I immediately started praying for our safety and peace. We had our two sweethearts asleep in the back seat and our little baby inside me that I needed protection for and started silently begging for.
The whole freeway was at a stop and then a crawl of 5-10 miles an hour for the next three hours. What we thought would be another 1/2 hour on our drive turned out to be a loooong 3 hours of prayer the whole time as we drove on pure ice.
The interesting thing about this night, which I'm so grateful for, is even though I was nervous, I felt calm and peaceful knowing that everything would be okay. I was also able to stay awake, which if you know me is a miracle in and of itself! I'm so grateful that we made it safely and finally to a hotel and even though it was only for a few hours, were able to finally sleep in a bed. I'm so grateful for the comfort and peace I felt that night even through all the jack-knifed semis that we passed and cars sliding off around us. I know the power of prayer is real and that Heavenly Father is always there watching over us. I'm grateful for this experience (now that it's over of course) to once again reassure me that we are protected and can rely on Him to comfort us in our time of need.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Sarah. We prayed hard, too, as we drove thru those mountains the night before in pouring rain and hydroplaining cars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lord is always in charge. And He is always there to help us. Thanks for sharing.
    Love, Aunt Eileen

    ReplyDelete