Tuesday, July 3, 2018

The Scariest Day of my Life that Turned into the biggest miracle of my life!

The scariest day of my life happenen on Saturday, April 25, 2015. It was a normal morning, but warm, so Emily opened up the window in her room. I don't like the windows open on our 2nd floor ever because I always worried about our kids falling out the window. Our family was being spotlighted in Primary the next day so I was downstairs on our main floor emailing the Primary. I knew that Tyler was upstairs playing so I didn't think anything of it. All of a sudden, I heard two sounds like wood breaking or something. I thought that something had fallen in Emily's closet. I quickly got up and started to ask  "What was that?" when Emily and Ashley ran out of Emily's room and yelled that Tyler had just fallen out the window. My biggest nightmare had just come true! I ran as fast as I could to the back door fearing the worst--that I will have just lost my little boy. It was the worst 5-10 seconds of my life.
When I opened up the back door, sure enough there was Tyler laying on our deck, but he was making noise so I knew he was alive! I quickly scooped him up in my arms, not thinking of broken bones or anything, just wanting to get him help ASAP. He was a ragdoll in my arms and that really scared me. I put him in the front seat of my car and sped to the hospital, which is just one street over from us. I got him out and this time he hugged me back, which I thought was a good sign. I rushed him into the ER and they took him right back. They checked him out, put a collar on him, tried to put an IV in, and took him for a CAT scan. Tyler just kept crying this pitiful little cry so we didn't know if something was really wrong on the inside.
Kenny had been at work and rushed over to the hospital to give him a blessing right before the CAT scan. They took him away and I was left in the room absolutely devastated. I couldn't believe this had happened. I was always so careful about the windows, but one time is all it takes.
They came back from the scan and said that nothing was broken and he didn't have any obvious trauma but thought it would be best to transfer him to Primary Children's Hospital since it was a significant fall (10-15 feet). I rode in the ambulance with Tyler, got up there, and was checked out by the doctor. In the meantime, Tyler started telling me that he was feeling good again and wasn't sad (hurt) anymore. The doctor came back in and said that he doesn't know why but there weren't any cuts, scratches, gooseggs, bruises, broken bones, or anything on him, and he was fine and we could take him home. The doctor assumed he had a concussion, but wasn't sure and said we should just watch him.
I couldn't believe it! How could my little boy fall that far, land on our deck, and not have any sort of injury. It was a true miracle.
The next day, Tyler was using the potty and I said how glad I was that he was okay. He then nonchalantly said, yes, it's because the angel saved me. WHAT?! I tried to be calm and asked, "An angel saved you?" And he said, "Yes, he caught me so I didn't get hurt."
What an absolute miracle! Kenny and I thought instantly that it was my dad that had saved him that day. We knew my dad was always watching over us, and felt strongly that it was him that saved Tyler that day. We didn't really talk about that further with Tyler at the time though because we didn't want to taint any kind of memory he had of it.
Later we were watching the movie, Heaven is for Real about a boy who goes to heaven. There is a part where it shows angels and I asked if those were what the angels looked like. Tyler responded with, "Yes, but they didn't have wings...and he looked just like Grandpa R." As you can imagine, I totally lost it and cried the rest of the movie. I know my dad still lives and I know the atonement is real and that we can be forgiven for the things we do. My dad was not even close to perfect--no one is, but I know that forgiveness and grace are real and that he did indeed save my little boy that April morning. I know I will see my dad again someday and thanks to him, I get to have my little boy with us for a lot longer!! :-) I love you dad!! I love you, Tyler!!
My sweet little boy





Tyler saying he was feeling good again
The next day--you never would have known anything even happened 

No comments:

Post a Comment